Sunday, September 10, 2006

Apology/Apologia

As my wife has reminded me on many occasions, I have not blogged anything for several weeks. So I have chosen to break this blog into two parts: 1) apology 2) apologia

1) APOLOGY: I am sorry for not writing more frequently.

Now that we have that out of the way...

2) APOLOGIA: There is a problem that is endemic to my personality. If you have read my description you know that I am an "aspiring academic". The truth is that I think most of us have the ability to be an academic, but few of us have the discipline that is required. My struggle is less against my mind than it is against my flesh. Ultimately, I suffer from a perpetual malaise that tends to manifest itself as laziness. Not laziness in a physical sense, I think I am generally viewed as a hard worker and am not afraid to do the heavy lifting when it comes to it. It is more of an intellectual laziness. My intellectual pursuits are a bit like my middle school track career. I began as a distance guy running the mile, was then moved to the 400m with the sprinters, but finally found a small measure of success in the 800m. I seem always to be stuck in the middle distance group. Not fast enough for the sprinters and too easily winded for the long haul.

If only I could find the right training regimen...

P.S. Ironically, the spell check for blogger doesn't like the words "blog" or "blogged". That gives a whole new meaning to "denying thyself"!

2 comments:

Beth said...

1) Apology accepted

2) You'll never be "stuck in the middle" to me! It's those who complete the race, you know...

Alyosha said...

hey adam--i'm right there with you. maybe we middle distance runners should stick together; perhaps our combined strengths will count for something. brian and kim just introduced me to your blog; i'll be tracking it. hope all is going well.

E. Moore