Sunday, July 02, 2006

Blessed Ignorance

"...(Y)ou will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8.32

I was reminded at lunch today that there is a certain blessedness in ignorance. Not the type of ignorance that stems from a lack of understanding or so often takes root in the postures and attitudes of zealots, who exclude all other ideas without reason. Nor am I speaking of that adolescent ignorance found in children, which is too often confused with innocence. I am speaking of a willful ignorance resulting from our own latent sense of self-preservation. Since coming to Korea, I have found this type of ignorance to be most useful, especially at the dining table (you should not necessarily envision a table and chairs complete with napkins and place settings).

Willful ignorance is the ignorance that I employ when I stroll through the market by my house taking in the smells. The sources need not be identified. When running in the mountains, willful ignorance keeps me from aksing "Why is that man repeatedly banging his back against that tree trunk?". The answer would not make sense anyway. When finishing a meal at a Korean style restaurant, willful ignorance prevents me from asking the nagging question, "What will they do with all of these half-eaten side dishes?". And willful ignorance is what has carried me safely through many a meal arrayed with bowls brimming with colorful, yet unidentifiable (or worse too easily identified) culinary creations. Foods that may be enjoyable in their consumption, but utterly unpalatable in my consciousness. Many such foods I have already come to appreciate. The anguish displayed by the open mouths and bulging eyes of fish does not necessarily betray a rather delicious taste. Raw and uncooked does not have to mean "fishy", although "slimy" seems to be standard.

However, there are still several such foods that the mental bar is still set too high for my westernized senisbilities to clear. Squid and octupus sit at the top of this list. Today, while taking lunch at the company cafeteria, I broke this covenant of willful ignorance. I was enjoying a dish consisting of breaded and fried fish with a coconut/pinapple sauce. When I first put the food on my tray, it most closely resembled the chicken found in Chinese sweet and sour entrees. Although slightlly disappointed to find it was fish, I nevertheless enjoyed the taste. Being a bit chewy though, I quickly became suspect.

And then my mouth trudged forward against my reason.

I asked the man sitting next to me, "Is this fish?" "I think it's squid," he replied. I will not elaborate further because I don't currently wish to relive this moment in my life. But I will be more jealous in the future of protecting my ignorance, as well as my appetite.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I completely understand and can sympathize. I remember this one time I was already sick to my stomach at work, so one of the Korean teachers ordered some rice to help calm my stomach. It ended up being fried rice, and was quite tasty....that is, until my teeth found the suspiciously chewy piece. Yep, knowing my aversion to eating things found in an aquarium States-side, they had ordered octopus fried-rice to help calm my stomach. Needless to say, it did not work. Though it did speed the process of getting rid of whatever was making my tummy upset.