Monday, July 17, 2006

Fear Factor Korea

I am an unashamed fan of the television show Fear Factor despite the relentless teasing from my wife when I watch it. I don't know why, but whenever it is on I find myself drawn to it. I have always been a fan of competition and I particularly enjoy the "mind over matter" types of competition. When there was a "quiet contest" as a young child, I would rarely be the first to open his mouth. My wife can also attest to my high tolerance for intentionally annoying behavior (though my children might disagree). When it comes to annoying and being annoyed, I can take it just as well as I can dish out. It is for these reasons that I think I am drawn into the show.

I have often commented that I would like to be a contestant on the show. Although I don't have the six-pack abs displayed by most of the young bucks on the show, I think I do have the will-power and stamina to succeed. After all, 50g is a lot jack to win. However, there has always been one thing holding me back. Those of you who are familiar with the show and its format (and I know almost all of you are, whether or not you are willing to admit it) know that the middle "stunt" usually involves the ingestion of some type of very foreign and twice as disgusting creature. It's not that I don't think I could do the eating thing, but it requires that you keep it down and there in lies the rub. I don't know that even my mental powers are enough to control the will of my stomach under such duress. What I do know, however, is that nearly any Korean would not so much as bat an eye at such a challenge. These types of challenges are regular dietary choices for Koreans. Just last night as Beth and I were scanning the channels trying to find info about the current flooding in Korea, when we turned to one of the many Korean Home Shopping-type channels. The woman was displaying the amazing capabilities of a top-of-the-line juicer. This machine was effortlessly juicing whatever contents she added. A pile of grass became a green milk shake in seconds. Oversized anchovies, no problem. This machine could churn out "healthy drinks" as fast as watching this disgusting display could churn my stomach. And then I had a thought. Perhaps my whole mission here is really just an extended preparation for my future. Someday I may stand alongside Joe from Fear Factor listening proudly as he proclaims to the world that "Adam, fear is obviously not a factor for you." I better start doing more sit-ups.

No comments: